- Clinical Performance
- Clinical Integration and Physician Engagement
- Physician Operations
- Labor Cost Management
- Master of Public Health in Health Services Research,University of Pittsburgh
- Master of Science, Industrial Engineering, University of Pittsburgh
- Bachelor of Science, magna cum laude,Industrial Engineering, University of Pittsburgh
- Fellow, American College of Healthcare Executives
- Fellow, Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society
- Healthcare Financial Management Association
George Whetsell, FACHE
George W. Whetsell is a co-founder and Managing Partner of Prism Healthcare Partners LTD. He brings more than 40 years of consulting experience serving the healthcare industry. He is a nationally recognized expert in cost and quality management and has assisted hundreds of healthcare providers with their efforts to improve quality and reduce costs. He is particularly adept at managing the change process and helping boards, medical staffs and senior management successfully implement the changes necessary to reposition their organizations for success.
- Served as chief turnaround officer for a five-hospital system in the Southwest. Reengineered the revenue cycle, implemented a labor productivity management system and a non-labor cost reduction initiative. Results included reducing accounts receivable days from 65 to 42, one-time cash acceleration of $14 million, a $10 million reduction in labor costs and a $15 million reduction in non-labor cost.
- Served as chief turnaround officer for a large multi-campus integrated delivery system located in the Midwest. Implemented a labor productivity management system, redesigned the case management program and restructured the owned physician practices. Results included a $33 million reduction in operating expenses, a 1.5-day reduction in length of stay and an increase in operating margin from 0.5% to 5.0%.
- Served as chief implementation officer for a three-hospital system located in the Northeast. Results included more than $37 million in implemented improvements, including a $13 million reduction in labor costs, an $8 million reduction in non-labor costs and a $13 million increase in net revenues.
- Co-Founder and Principal, Wellspring Partners
- Partner and National Director of Healthcare Operations Improvement Consulting, KPMG
- Partner and Director of Healthcare Services, Mid-Atlantic Region, Ernst & Young
- President, Whetsell & Associates, a performance improvement healthcare consulting firm
- “The healthcare executive’s 2-minute read on priorities in 2017: Physician operations, clinical performance, physician engagement and clinical integration," Becker's Hospital Review (June 2017)
- “3 ways hospitals can strengthen their operating margins amid ACA uncertainty," Becker's Hospital Review (April 2017)
- “3 questions about population health with no easy answers," Becker's Hospital Review (April 2017)
- “Population Healthcare and Physician Relationships," Becker's Hospital Review 8th Annual Meeting (April 20, 2017)
- “ACA Repeal and Replace: What Providers Should be Doing," Webinar (March 27, 2017)
- “The hospital executive’s star rating playbook: The 5-point guide to improving your rating," Becker's Hospital Review (December 2016)
- “The effects of CMS’ star ratings: 5 things hospital leaders should know," Becker's Hospital Review (September 2016)
- “Helping Healthcare Providers Sustain and Excel Under Transitioning Market Conditions," South Florida Hospital News and Healthcare Report (January 2016)
- “Merged and None the Wiser: What Keeps Hospitals from Gaining Economies of Scale?" Becker's Hospital Review (July 2015)
- “Could Your Organization Survive if Medicare Was Your Best Payer?" (March 2015)
- Lead faculty, “Improving Quality and Reducing Costs through Systems Reengineering” American College of Healthcare Executives seminar (1994 to 2000)
Awards and Distinctions
- Recipient of the 2013 Distinguished Alumnus Award, Swanson School of Engineering, University of Pittsburgh
- Recipient of the 1996 Distinguished Alumnus Award, Department of Industrial Engineering, University of Pittsburgh